De största riskerna med att använda offentligt WiFi
Your bags are packed, the kids are ready to go, and you?ve got your boarding passes tucked away in your front pocket…forgetting anything?
Varför, en VPN förstås! Även om det finns många olika saker att tänka på när du åker iväg på en affärsresa eller nästa stora semester, så är det ofta så att folk låter en av de viktigaste aspekterna av resan till en främmande stad eller ett främmande land falla bort: säkerheten för deras digitala information.
Med appar som Android Pay och Apple Pay becoming the norm alongside debit/credit cards as the main way people pay for things on the road, thieves have stopped trying to pickpocket your traveler?s checks. Nowadays it?s all about stealing financial information right off the devices you use, which is why it?s so important for you to always be as secure as possible the next time you log onto the web in a new place.
Here?s VPN.com?s list of the biggest threats you can face while using public WiFi when traveling, and some surefire methods you can use to prepare yourself and your family for any hacks that might come your way.
The main reason why so many thieves have moved to digital hacking techniques to pick tourist?s pockets over the years, is because most Internationella resenärer är vanligtvis desperata att ansluta sig till alla offentliga WiFi-tjänster för att undvika eventuella roamingavgifter.
När du reser utanför ditt eget land tar telekomleverantörerna ofta ut orimliga avgifter för minsta lilla mängd data som skickas till eller från dina enheter via mobilnätet. Detta innebär att en resenär kommer att göra allt han eller hon kan för att använda alla WiFi-signaler, inklusive att ignorera potentiella röda flaggor som visar att en WiFi-hotspot faktiskt kan vara en ond tvilling i stället för den riktiga.
En desperat resenär är en sårbar resenär, och det vet hackare världen över.
Att bli hackad på offentligt WiFi
If you thought losing traveler?s checks while you?re in a foreign country is bad, just wait and see how much losing access to all your credit cards and checking account will send your vacation or business trip off the rails.
When you?re in another country, you lose the option to head on down to your local bank and just pick up another debit/credit card in case your number gets compromised in an attack. Om du förlitar dig på att dessa små plastbitar ska hantera alla dina resekostnader kan en hackare lamslå hela din tid på resan..
Plus, oftentimes if you?re trying to avoid roaming charges you might do something like disabling data on your phone while you?re enjoying the sights and sounds of a new location. This means that Om dina finansiella uppgifter blir stulna kan varken dina appar eller din e-post varna dig i tid..
This means a hacker could potentially have hours, even days of uninterrupted fun with your accounts before you even find out about it! The longer the window of time they have to compromise your data, the more cash they?ll be able to pull out before you can put a stop to it.
Att inte kunna det lokala språket
If you?re unfamiliar with the local language of the country you?re visiting, it can be difficult to figure out which public hotspots are legitimate, och vilka som är onda tvillingar.
This gets especially complicated if the local dialect uses symbols that you?re unfamiliar with. In order to avoid this the first option is to simply never log into WiFi outside of the hotspot that your hotel provides. But, as we mentioned earlier, this can be problematic for anyone who?s trying to avoid roaming charges but still needs to handle tasks like staying on top of your email, scheduling new activities and syncing them to everyone?s calendars, or checking your account balance to make sure everything is still where you left it.
If you have to use public WiFi, try and ask someone around you who might speak the language to translate the hotspot name for you first. Also if you?re trying to connect at a cafe or a hotel, ask an employee to verify that the WiFi name you?re trying to connect to is the one set up and managed by the establishment.
Använda flygplatsens offentliga WiFi
Another big honeypot for hackers is airport WiFi. We?ve already gone into detail about the many Risker som resenärer utsätts för när de satsar på att ansluta sig till flygplatsens WiFi., and the threats don?t just stop there. Usually airports are a hotbed for hacking activity because there are so many people just trying to hurry onto whatever WiFi they can find so they can download their boarding passes or get in touch with loved ones in case something about their flight has changed.
Similarly, if a flight gets delayed that?s when travelers want to be able to hop onto the airport?s WiFi hotspot so they can strömma lite Netflix för att fördriva tiden. Alla dessa faktorer utgör det perfekta receptet för en hackare att genomföra en Evil Twin-attack.
Evil Twin-hacken fungerar genom att lura användare att logga in på en falsk WiFi-hotspot utan att användaren ens märker det.. For example if you were traveling to San Francisco, the official WiFi name for that airport might be ?SFO-Free-WiFi?.
For an Evil Twin attack to be successful all a hacker would need to do is set up their own hotspot called ?SFO-Free-WiFi-1? (or something similar), and people would sign on without even thinking twice about it. Once signed onto the hacker?s network, all traffic flowing to and from your device can be read and decrypted by a malicious third-party, including your personal and financial information in case you decide to do a little online shopping while you wait for your flight to start boarding.
Ett knep som du kan använda för att verify whether or not the public airport WiFi you?re signed onto is legitimate is whether or not they have a login page. In my own personal experience pretty much every airport I?ve ever been to will have you check a box for signing their terms of service before you?re allowed to actually hop on the network.
If you try to use an airport hotspot but it doesn?t prompt you with any sort of login page or terms of service, this is a major red flag that the WiFi might actually be an Evil Twin than the real deal.
Så här skyddar du dig från hackare av offentligt WiFi när du reser
Det finns en mängd olika Taktik och teknik. that every traveler (yes, even your kids) should use to protect themselves while they?re using public WiFi hotspots when traveling. Here?s a list of the most important and effective methods that will keep these attackers at bay.
- Ändra dina lösenord: Before you even leave the house, we recommend going through all of your online passwords and refreshing them with new credentials. This is a quick and easy way to guarantee that if someone has already gotten a hold of your online banking information that you won?t be left holding the bag when you?re on a plane or already touched down in a foreign country.
- Uppdatera dina antivirusprogram: Next, make sure that your antivirus programs are fully updated on every single one of your devices before you hit the airport. This is because oftentimes these updates can be several hundred megabytes or more, and if you?re trying to get them downloaded in locations that have slower speeds this can make it next to impossible to get them running properly once you?re already out on the road.
- Don?t login to any sensitive accounts: If you can avoid it, try not to use your devices to log into any sensitive accounts that might do a lot of damage if they happen to get breached. Some examples of this include your online bank, your hospital?s online portal (anything with medical records really), or even online shopping. Do everything you can to prevent having to enter your financial information or your social security number while you?re browsing on sensitive networks, because even with all the protection methods in the world in place you can never be 100% sure that you aren?t putting those vital pieces of information at risk.
Använd en VPN när du reser för att stoppa hackare i deras spår
Obviously, this wouldn?t be an article on VPN.com if we didn?t recommend using a VPN! VPNs are the surefire way to prevent all of the various attacks we?ve mentioned above from being able to target you or anyone in your family.
But not all VPNs are created alike, which is why there are a few different factors you should keep in mind when selecting the service that?s right for you when traveling.
- Serverplatser: The first is server locations. Depending on where you?re traveling and how often, you?ll likely want to go with a VPN provider that offers server locations in 20 or more countries to guarantee that there?s always a node nearby wherever you end up in the world. The closer that a server is to your real life location, the less distance your data has to travel. The less distance between you and the server, the faster your connection will be. This is vital if you plan on doing a lot of streaming at the airport or if you have a large family and everyone needs to be on the VPN at once.
- Antal enheter som stöds: Speaking of large families, this is where the device support number comes into play. While this may not be as important for business travelers, anyone taking a vacation with their family will want to be sure they sign up for a service and a plan that can support the same number of devices as you have people in your family (except maybe for the kids under the age of five, of course). You?ll want to be sure that every device you and your family plan to use is protected at all times, and also make sure that the VPN you choose har en funktion för dödsswitche included just in case the service ever drops off as you?re moving from hotspot to hotspot.
- Flera krypteringsprotokoll erbjuds: When you?re traveling, it?s likely that you?ll be hopping between a lot of different WiFi hotspots depending on your destination. The airport, the cafe outside the airport, the hotel, and so on. The issue with this is that for every new WiFi hotspot you hit, there?s a new set of rules that go along with it. These rules are generally designed to protect users from illicit traffic, but sometimes the network administrators can be a bit too overzealous and block ports or traffic types that are made for VPN traffic. This is why it?s important to go with a VPN provider that offers multiple types of encryption protocols so you can guarantee you?re always protected at every hotspot you visit. Say for example you can?t get OpenVPN-trafik att gå igenom, är detta ett perfekt tillfälle att hoppa över till L2TP eller . PPTP-trafik i stället!